Defending Clients Against Criminal Charges
If you are facing criminal charges, your freedom and your reputation are at stake. This is no time for a lawyer who will roll over when the chips are down. You need a bulldog who will fight for you and never let up until your case is won.
Important: If you are the subject of ANY criminal investigation, you should immediately hire a lawyer. Do not talk to the police without a lawyer and do not waive (give up) any of your rights. It is almost never to your advantage.
I’m criminal defense attorney Gene Barton, the “Bulldog of Mississippi.” For more than 40 years, I’ve been defending the people of Mississippi in state and federal criminal courts and in criminal appeals. I’ve lived long enough to know that even outstanding people sometimes make serious mistakes in judgment and find themselves facing criminal charges. Hopefully, they get a second chance – that’s what I strive to provide for my clients. I work to minimize the damaging consequences my clients face and to help them get their lives back on track.
It’s not my job to judge you. It’s my job to defend you, and I will do that vigorously, using every resource at my disposal. When you need strong and effective criminal defense, call my Chickasaw County criminal defense office or contact me online to schedule a free initial consultation.
Diverse Experience Leads To Effective Defense Representation
In my long legal career, I have gained tremendous experience that directly helps with my criminal defense representation, including:
- Interning with the Lee County Prosecutor’s Office in the 1970s
- Serving as a Youth Court prosecutor in the early 1980s
- Serving as a public defender for the city of Tupelo from 1981 to 1985
- Serving as the Okolona city attorney and city prosecutor since 2005
- Handling jury trial cases as serious as murder for more than 42 years
- Handling federal criminal jury trials and other federal crimes cases
My undergraduate degree in psychology and vast knowledge and experience with psychiatry and forensics have proven invaluable in the trial process for cross-examining witnesses and working with experts on the stand.
A Strong Defense Against All Types Of Criminal Charges
Do not ever waive your rights without the advice of an attorney. Do not give a statement to the police – even if you are innocent – without an attorney present.
I have the experience to defend you against any criminal charge in state or federal criminal courts or on criminal appeal, including:
- Driving under the influence and traffic crimes such as reckless driving and driving without a valid license
- Drug trafficking, including possession, distribution, and manufacture or cultivation
- Murder, manslaughter and crimes accompanied by accidental death
- White collar charges, such as embezzlement and fraud
- Sex-based crimes, including rape, sexual battery and child sex crimes
- Federal crimes of white collar crimes, drug trafficking and more
- Online crimes, such as ID theft, fraud and child pornography
- Defense of college students and professionals at risk of losing licenses
I believe that no one is all-evil; no matter what crime you are accused of committing, I know there is good in you. Under God’s law, no mistake is unforgivable. Although we’re all sinners, God gives us second chances.
I will help you fight for your second chance. Perhaps you made a mistake and got involved with the wrong people, or perhaps you have a problem with drugs or alcohol. In any of these circumstances, I believe that you have a right to a fair trial and a right to fierce criminal defense representation, so I will fight like a bulldog for you.
Contact Me, A Mississippi Defense Lawyer
Note: I cannot defend criminal cases in the city where I am a prosecutor, which is Okolona. I can defend cases in greater Chickasaw County and surrounding counties throughout Mississippi, as well as in federal court.