PLEASE NOTE: To protect your safety in response to the threats of COVID-19, we are offering our clients the ability to meet with us in person, via telephone or through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options.
Gene Barton
Contact The Law Offices Today
Contact The Law Offices Today
One Of The Most Experienced Chickasaw County Area Attorneys — Contact Today For A Free Consultation
Tap into experienced counsel and representation
Take action now ~ Do not delay
Turn to attorney Gene Barton for answers and help
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Family Law
  4.  » 
  5. Child Custody
  6.  » Relocation Of A Parent

Experienced Representation In Relocation Cases

One of the most challenging family law issues is what to do when a divorced parent wishes to relocate with his or her child. Any solution must take into consideration the needs of the child and the rights of each parent to pursue their best interests and protect their parental rights. For such a complex and important issue, it is important to have an experienced lawyer on your side whether you are seeking to relocate or wish to prevent a relocation.

I’m attorney Gene Barton, a Chickasaw County, Mississippi, family law attorney. I bring more than 40 years of experience to child custody and related matters, and I focus on protecting the best interests of children while asserting the rights of their parents. I have represented men and women and have a unique understanding of these issues due to my own personal experience with divorce and child custody.

Parental Relocation Laws In Mississippi

Mississippi does not have a statute that requires parents to go back to court when seeking to relocate. When these issues are brought before the court by a parent, a judge will focus on making a decision that is in the best interests of the child(ren).

This is a crucial issue for noncustodial parents who face the loss of irreplaceable time with their children if a move occurs. If a move is significant enough, the noncustodial parent can petition the court to reopen the case and pursue a modification of custody. The court will consider the impact of the proposed move on the child and whether there are justifiable reasons for the relocation.

Contact Me If You Or Your Child’s Parent Is Moving Out Of State

If your child’s other parent is considering moving out of state with your child, it is in your best interest to contact me today at 662-447-2522 for a free initial consultation.

Practice Areas


The Compassionate Bulldog Lawyer Serving The Tupelo Region — Contact Today For A Free Consultation

  • Injured? Arrested? Divorcing?
  • Disabled? Overwhelmed By Debts?
  • I’m Here To Fight For You
  • Handling A Wide Range Of Legal Matters 

It’s Time For Answers And Advocacy In Your Legal Matter